How To Resolve QuickBooks Error 12031
QuickBooks Error 12031 is a common error that occurs while updating the software or payroll service. The error message usually states, “A network timeout occurred while trying to access the server.” This error is typically caused by a poor internet connection or firewall blocking QuickBooks from accessing the internet.
Why this QuickBooks Error 12031 occurs?
- Firewall setup & third-party apps hinder the working of QuickBooks.
- The default browser is other than Internet Explorer.
- The network timeout error restricts the operations in the QuickBooks software.
- Unstable and incorrect network configuration and internet setup.
Here are some steps to resolve the QuickBooks Error 12031:
- Check your internet connection: Ensure that you have a stable and reliable internet connection. If the connection is poor or unstable, restart your modem and try again.
- Check your firewall settings: Make sure that your firewall is not blocking QuickBooks from accessing the internet. You can temporarily disable your firewall and check if the error persists. If the error goes away, then you need to create an exception in your firewall settings for QuickBooks.
- Check your SSL settings: Make sure that your SSL settings are configured correctly. To do this, open Internet Explorer and select Tools > Internet Options. Click on the Advanced tab and scroll down to the Security section. Make sure that SSL 2.0 and SSL 3.0 are checked.
- Update QuickBooks: Ensure that you have the latest version of QuickBooks installed. You can check for updates by going to the Help menu and selecting Update QuickBooks.
- Check your system date and time: Ensure that your system date and time are set correctly. If they are incorrect, it may cause issues with internet connectivity.
Here are some more steps to follow if its been not resolved
- Quit the QuickBooks application, launch Internet Explorer and select the Tools menu.
- Click Internet Options, go to the Security tab and click the Globe icon.
- Check the security level to make sure it is no higher than Medium-high.
- Next, choose the Connections tab and click Never Dial a Connection if you do not use the dial-up node (DUN). If you do, choose the correct ISP.
- To save, click OK and choose LAN Settings.
- Check that the automatically detect settings option is selected and the Use a Proxy server box is clear.
- If the Use a Proxy Server box is marked, you need to document the complete address and port.
- If the port is other than 80, do not clear the Use a Proxy server option. If it is 80, clear the checkbox for testing purposes.
- Click OK, go to the Advanced tab and choose Restore Advanced Settings.
- Go to Settings, find Use TLS 1.2 and check if it is selected.
- Select OK, close the Internet Explorer window and restart your workstation.
If the above steps do not resolve the QuickBooks Error 12031, you may need to contact QuickBooks support for further assistance.